Wednesday, July 29, 2009

If you like the Pope, then you'll love buying my product

In an article by Henry Chu of the Los Angeles Times,I learned that Vatican Radio, which follows the movements of the Pope, has decided to start selling Ad space after 80 years of Ad-free operation. This must have been an extremely difficult decision for the Vatican to make. I'm sure the consideration of the ethical dilemma of a sort of "holy endorsement" isn't one that was taken lightly.
This made me think about what the future will hold for advertisers. If a fully functioning religious authority has become open to advertising dollars, then no one will consider themselves too high and mighty to indulge in the profits.
Schools might consider selling Ad space from their walls. I would hope this would only be for high school and colleges, but seeing it at elementary schools wouldn't be suprising. They could even start hosting brand sponsored peprallies and sports events.
If your convincing enough, you just might be able to get people to sell Ad space on their cars. It's already been done on race cars. Why not use regular people's cars. I bet that could end up being very cheap and fairly effective (although driving habits should probably be taken into consideration).
Of course I'm mostly joking, but only mostly...

1 comment: